HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM
FOUNDING THE MUSEUM OF MLADÁ BOLESLAV
At the very beginning of the history of today’s Museum of the Mladá Boleslav Region, in 1877, there was a call from the local city council addressed to the owners of “antiques” to sell or donate them to the city. This call, supported by a number of articles in the local press, met with a considerable response. The idea of founding a museum in Mladá Boleslav grew into a reality in the course of 1885. The first museum exposition was created in the Temple, in a historic house near the Old Town Square. However, its premises were soon overcrowded, and in 1910 the museum moved to the building of the former fraternal congregation. The museum remained here until the end of the 1960s. A new perspective for the development of the museum was opened in 1973 with the acquisition of the building of the Mladá Boleslav castle, where the museum is still located.
HISTORY OF BRANCHES
In 1981, the Museum in Bělá pod Bezdězem was added to the Museum of the Mladá Boleslav Region. The history of this museum begins in 1906, when the local bourgeois discussion applied to the city council for the establishment of a museum and began collecting collections. The first expositions of the museum in Bělá were opened in the premises of the Augustinian monastery. In 1939, the museum moved to the Běl chateau, where its then owner, playfully Waldstein, set aside several rooms for him. The museum is housed in these premises to this day.
In the same year as the Běl Museum, a museum in Benátky nad Jizerou was included under the Museum of the Mladá Boleslav Region. The local museum was established in 1936 and was first housed in the district office. After the war, it was moved to the Venetian chateau, which still serves as its seat today.
The youngest part of the Museum of the Mladá Boleslav Region is the Methodical Vlach Aviation Museum, which was opened in 2014 and is thematically focused on the history of aviation.